Posted on | October 27, 2011 | No Comments
Amy Winehouse drank herself to death. That was the ruling of a coroner’s inquest in to the death with the Grammy-winning soul singer, who discovered in bed at her London home on July 23 died with empty vodka bottles in her space and lethal amounts of alcohol in her blood – far more than five occasions the British drunk driving restrict.
Coroner Suzanne Greenaway gave a verdict of “death by misadventure,” saying Wednesday the singer suffered accidental alcohol poisoning when she resumed drinking following weeks of abstinence.
The 27-year-old Winehouse had fought a very public battle with drug and alcohol abuse for many years, and there had been a lot speculation that she died from a drug overdose.
Winehouse gave up illicit drugs in 2008, but had swerved among heavy alcohol use and abstinence for any extended time. Winehouse joins a extended list of celebrities who died soon after fighting alcohol issues, including jazz wonderful Billie Holiday, AC/DC lead singer Bon Scott, film legend Richard Burton, writers Dylan Thomas and Jack Kerouac, and country music pioneer Hank Williams.
Watch Amy Winehouse’s Coroner Report:
What is Alcohol Poisoning ?
According to MayoClinic, Alcohol poisoning is a serious — and sometimes deadly — consequence of drinking large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. Drinking too much too quickly can affect your breathing, heart rate and gag reflex and potentially lead to coma and death.
Alcohol Poisoning Symptoms
Alcohol poisoning symptoms include:
- Confusion, stupor
- Slow breathing (less than eight breaths a minute)
- Irregular breathing (a gap of more than 10 seconds between breaths)
- Blue-tinged skin or pale skin
- Low body temperature (hypothermia)
- Unconsciousness (“passing out”), and can’t be roused